Whether you want to make a cake or cookies more fun, it’s easy to make colored icing to decorate your goodies.
- Powdered confectioner’s sugar ¼ cup 50 ml
- Water or milk 1 tsp 5 ml
- Food coloring of you choice
If you need to make a large quantity of the stuff, simply maintain a 1/10 fluid/sugar ratio.
- Combine the sugar and water or milk until smooth.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and mix. Repeat this step until you get the color you want.
- Draw a small line of icing on the outside of a glass or mug to test it out. It needs to stay in place and not be runny. If that’s not the case, add a bit more sugar to your mix until the consistency is right.
- Start decorating! Remember that you should only use this on baked goods after they’ve completely cooled down.
Don’t have icing bags and/or tubes? No problem! Just use a clean plastic or Ziplock bag. Spoon your icing into the corner, tie it off or close the bag and cut a little hole at the very tip of the corner. Voilà! Home made icing bag!
- If you’re using this on cookies, it’s a good idea to give the icing 2-3 hours to dry and harden before you store or stack up your cookies so your decorations won’t get smudged.
The key to making really cool Cookie Monster cookies is that the mouth needs to take up at least half the cookie