There’s something that just works when you combine lemon and poppy seeds. This recipe also uses yogurt, which really brings out the lemon’s tangy flavor.
If you’ve got your hands on some lemon extract, these are also really quick and easy to make.
- Flour 2 cups 500 ml
- Poppy seeds 3 tbsp 45 ml
- Salt ½ tsp 2 ml
- Baking powder 2 tsp 10 ml
- Butter, at room temperature ½ cup 115 g
- White granulated sugar 1½ cups 375 ml
- Eggs, beaten 2
- Lemon extract 4 tsp 20 ml
or Zest of 3 lemons
- Lemon juice ¼ cup 60 ml
(from about 1½ lemons)
- Vanilla yogurt 1 cups 250 ml
- Plain yogurt 1 cups 250 ml
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp 5 ml
I honestly can’t taste the difference between using ingredients from fresh lemons and bottled juice and extract. If you can get your hands on the stuff, save yourself the work. 😉
- Preheat your oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Grease your muffin molds.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time
- Add the lemon extract or zest, lemon juice, yogurt and vanilla (if applicable) to the sugar mixture.
- Add the sugar mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Don’t over-mix it though, a lumpy batter is good.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with no more than a few crumbs on it.
Makes about 12 muffins. If you want to keep these for more than a week, you’ll need to refrigerate them.